- Official Name: Sony/Philips Digital Interconnect Format AKA Sony/Philips Digital InterFace
- Company: Sony/Philips
- Official Specification Number: IEC 60958, IEC 958 type II
- Official Specification: http://v3.espacenet.com/origdoc?DB=EPODOC&IDX=EP811295&QPN=EP0811295#
- Links: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spdif http://www.epanorama.net/documents/audio/spdif.html
S/PDIF is mostly used to transmit compressed multichannel audio from a media player to an amplifier/receiver.
The following audio formats are known to be transmitted over S/PDIF:
- AAC - The name for the standard describing the formating is BS EN 61937-1:2007, preview can be seen here.
- Wma Pro - Useless Specification and better Specification.
http://www.ac3filter.net/projects/spdifer also explains how to transmit MP3,DTS and AC3.
The details how to transmit Wma Pro is also known but not published yet.
Info about SPDIF http://ac3filter.net/files/docs/ac3filter_1_30b/spdif_eng.pdf.