- Company: Autodesk
- FOURCC (unofficial): FLIC
- Samples: http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/fli-flc/
- Frame type: IP (conditional replenishment)
The codec uses RGB colorspace: paletted RGB8, RGB15, RGB16, RGB24. RGB8 is tightly coupled with the VGA mode 0x13.
Compression methods are RLE-based.
There are many variations of flic container, the most common are the original FLI from Autodesk Animator and the extended FLC from Autodesk Animator Pro.
Standard FLIC files are video-only. However, various deviations also include audio.
The file format is chunk-based.
The game Magic Carpet contains FLIC files with a few deviations from the standard:
- the files bear the extension .dat
- The header is only 12 bytes instead of 128
- The header is too short to carry speed info; all MC FLIC files appear to play fine at 15 fps
- Even though they report themselves to be 0xAF12-type FLIC files and have 256_COLOR palette chunks, the files are actually 320x200 pixels and have 6-bit palettes like 0xAF11-type FLIC files