FFmpeg audio API
This page is for discussion regarding the reworking of the FFmpeg audio API to accommodate the requirements needed for today's audio codecs.
- Generalized downmixing (SIMD optimized)
Users should be able to set their own downmix coeffs.
- Codec setable downmixing coeffs:
The codec should be able to set and update the coefs during runtime(dca supports that feature, maybe ac3 also).
- Output channel request function (ie, request a specified number of channels, default should be >2 channels mapped to 2 channels).
- Channel reordering, currently there are diffrent orders depending on the codec.
- Simd optimized interleaving
- Allow planer output, (don't duplicate interleaving code in every codec)
- Add support for other bitdepths then 16bits (ie 24/8/32/float)
- Ability to access one channel from a multichannel stream
Features wish list
- Add a better FFT routine. (Would the KISS implementation be a good candidate?)
- Fixed point MDCT/FFT implementations
- Custom audio filter support. (Basing it on the video filter API ideas?)
Thread with previous discussions in the subject. The thread has several ideas already implemented.