FFmpeg Release Plan
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ideas and suggestions concerning FFmpeg software releases.
Things that need doing
- Fix DV regression tests on PPC
- Approximately 95% test coverage in FATE.
- Add an API/ABI changelog
- make test passes.
- FATE test coverage passes for all platforms of interest.
- All 'important' bugs reported in roundup fixed/closed.
- No half-implemented functionality that may break existing user apps.
- Endurance/memleak testing on film-length files.
Rationale for releases
- Provide endorsed snapshots for external software developers to develop against
- Avoid sitation where external software developers using SVN head when head has transient limitations.
- Discourage external software developers using ancient snapshots that we don't support.
- Create a branch in Subversion.
- Replace version.sh by something that hardcodes 0.5.
- svn export svn://svn.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg/tags/0.5/ ffmpeg-0.5
- tar -cvjf ffmpeg-0.5.tar.bz2 ffmpeg-0.5
- Get source code
- Create tarball
- Upload to ffmpeg.org
- Update website
- Who needs to be notified?
- Major dependent projects, major distribution package maintainers --Rathann 09:43, 29 January 2009 (EST)
Pending features that would be nice to have in 0.6
- AAC-HE v1
- Indeo 5
- Bink Video
- pending ALS patches