- FourCC: CFHD (avi)
- Website: http://www.cineform.com
- Decoder: http://www.cineform.com/products/Downloads/Downloads.htm
- Whitepaper: http://www.cineform.com/technology/CineForm_RAW.htm
Cineform is a wavelet codec optimized for high visual fidelity and fast CPU performace.
VC-5 is a separate codec that uses some components from Cineform but the two codecs are not backwards compatible (see https://medium.com/@kierank_/reverse-engineering-the-gopro-cineform-codec-7411312bfe1c)
Cineform covers a wide range of use-cases. Currently the FFmpeg implementation supports YUV 4:2:2 10-bit, RGB 10/12-bit, RGBA 10/12-bit.
The FFmpeg decoder is quite slow - here are things that need to be done to make it fast:
- Add SIMD transform with different versions for clip and shift (see below)
- Merge prescale shift into transform (where necessary)
- Merge decompanding with VLC Tables or use a LUT
- Make transform happen inplace
- Bayer files
- Transform-type=2 files - seem to have more subbands and are different to normal (Cineform RAW and others)